Matt Dwen

Sorter of Shit

SilverStripe on Windows Azure

While SilverStripe should largely work out of the box under IIS, I ran into a few issues getting it running on Azure. I created a new free Azure custom web site so I could create an associated MySQL database at the same time. I then downloaded everything locally using the recommended SilverStripe Installer via composer, then ftp’d straight into the new Azure account. The installer gave me some warnings about fileinfo not being enabled, and  URL...

Installing Node.js and using Grunt in Windows

I’ve recently started using Grunt to auto build change logs for the PHP framework I’ve developed at Xplore, and I’m interested in doing the same for DIVA. Doing this in OS X is one thing, Windows I’m expecting to be completely another. I figured I’d document this for my own reference when I need to do it again. Trying all this in Server 2012 trail running in a VM if it makes any difference. ##Installing...

Database benchmarking

I have performance issues. And it’s nothing a little blue pill is going to solve. I’ve had to disable functionality in a project I’ve been working on recently, because the execution time was waaaay to slow for a website. It’s a PHP-MySQL project, and I was expecting it to be slow, but not that bad; I’m talking minutes to render a filter system. After some benchmarking of PHP, I turned to checking out the DB...

Motorcyclist vs. Bank

12:24 (HASTRUR1, WAIM7571, HAVE531) AMB-MED 1440 WAIMARAMA RD WAIMARAMA. (XStr OCEAN BEACH RD/WAIPUKA RD) .MVA MOTORCYCLIST V BANK Don’t get a bike they said. Nah, too much fun! That’s my right clavicle, or collarbone. Shouldn’t be in three pieces, or make that awesome Z shape. Right now I’m waiting to hear if today is when they’re going to put a plate on it. They weren’t going to operate, and there’s a 90%+ chance that will...

PHP CSV import Mk.III

The third version of the importer bypasses the ORM, but still uses the database layer that I have, which at least protects and escapes the SQL. Finally, a marked improvement in memory usage: An average saving of 1.3MB, which is respectable I guess. What was really awesome was the time saved: 11m58s vs 11m49s vs 1m07s I’ll take that! Don’t use an ORM I guess. Of course this means I’m now ignoring all the model validation, which...